Old April 15th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Electric Trailer Brakes, (Revisited)

sisu1a wrote:

OK, so they're proportional. But besides jamming your brakes at all
kinds of speeds, how can you test them for function through the entire
range, or do you just have to assume they will work throughout their
entire range based on their lower level performances (lower level
being easily verified without risking damage to trailer's contents by
simply braking)

On the Cobra, it's a very simple mechanical system: pushing on the
coupler (what the tow vehicle does when it brakes) makes the sliding
element pull the cables (via a long rod) going to the brake shoes. So,
brake harder, more pull, more braking.

You can check the basic operation by applying the parking brake, which
exercises the entire system except for the sliding coupler component. If
the parking brake works, and the lever position is within
specifications, you know the adjustments are correct.

You then check the coupler/slider action by braking with the trailer
attached. If there is braking action (you can feel it), you know the
entire system is functional.

Why would I want to adjust the brakes? Why aren't they set correctly
from the start? I've never felt the need to adjust the brakes on my Cobra.

Because much like the air, conditions can change very rapidly on the
road. When I have the road to myself, and it is relatively flat I set
the auto engaging mechanism rather low. I prefer ...

snipped - long list of nuanced preferences. I still don't want to do any
of those things, despite being an obsessive, detail oriented person, as
their value seems marginal at best, and introduces the opportunity to
have things set wrong. Most pilots and their crew would better off
without that opportunity, I believe.

About driving 60: Although it may leave you with less energy in the
equation to manage, I feel like driving much below the speed limit
(like doing 60 in an 80 for instance) is far more dangerous to
yourself and the other drivers on the road, since you then make
yourself an obstacle that needs deviated around. With every car that
passes you, your odds of being hit by one of them increases. By
driving the same speed as the cars around you, you are much less
likely to be hit by one of them. Sometimes I slow down a bit too, but
usually only to get a different set of drivers around me because I've
had it with the knuckelheads around me. I am not worried about ME
crashing, I am indeed worried about one of 'them' hitting me though.
Most folks do not put much thought into driving, and it is usually
demonstrated for me every time I drive.

The above is not related to brakes; however, the choice of driving speed
is much more important to safety than the kind brakes your trailer has.
It should at least be slow enough that your trailer remains stable under
the conditions; that you can stop fast enough to avoid obstacles (cars
slowing, deer, whatever); that your tires are well within their ratings
(both vehicles); and that you can still manage a safe stop if a tire blows.

At 60 mph on an Interstate (most of my trailering) seems just as safe as
75, because passing is easy. Two lane roads, regardless of the speed
limit, is where the danger is. Most of that danger occurs when I have to
drive *less* than 60 mph, due to traffic, hills, and curves. Since it's
not related to brakes, I'll leave the issue for another thread.

I used to use
cruise control (constant speed), but I have dramatically increased
fuel economy (which indicates less wear of course) by manually driving
constant RPM (which made me slow for climbs, but speed up for
descents) instead. I wish my vehicle had an option to use either
method.

The above definitely applies to my motorhome, and I also wish for the
option!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org