Old October 21st 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default the trend is............

Jim White wrote:
At 14:46 21 October 2008, Eric Greenwell wrote:

It does save me about 10 gallons
of auto fuel when I fly, because I can fly from the local airport
instead of driving to the nearest gliderport.

jeez Eric, what do you drive? I get over 400 miles out of 10 gallons of
fuel in my car! But I am glad that you are saving the planet. That must be
masses of CO2 per launch saved.

My old Dodge Grand Caravan gets about 20 mpg (@ 60 mph) when towing my
2400 pound Cobra trailer. If I really had to fly from Ephrata, the
closest place with a tow, I'd probably leave the glider there most of
the time during the season and drive up in my 2002 Camry; however, even
with it's 4 cylinder engine, it won't get 40 mpg at 60-70 mph.

I am looking forward to the plug-in hybrids coming the next year or two,
or even an electric car.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org