Old July 13th 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

On Jul 12, 3:11*am, Tony V wrote:
snip

Forgot point number 3. You can't just point the nose down and start your
turn back to the airport. You have to wait until you have enough
airspeed to pull that off. Something that gets drilled into every winch
student (I hope).

Interesting. In my own glider a typical tow speed is somewhat above
best l/d speed so the first things would be to lift the nose slightly
and trim for approach speed. It's a typical 15m unflapped glass
glider so 60 knots is fine, typical tow speeds are 70-80 knots.