Old October 25th 03, 09:36 AM
kallijaa

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
. 6...
"kallijaa" wrote in
:

Oh, really? I recall you describing how you use "outside views." How
do you access those outside views and where are your eyes focused
during that process? Let me guess: You switch to outside view using
your keyboard or a switch on your flight controls. Am I getting warm?
Then you look at those outside views on the same display used to view
the instrument panel and the slim strip of the sim world atop.
Warmer?

By that process you are training your head to habitually remain
stationary and your eyes to look forward at all times. Those are the
kind of habits that hinder progress in flight training.

Kalijaa

Oh, give me a ****ing break! Are you honestly trying to argue that
instructors have to train somebody to turn their heads because they lost
this ability through simming?

Instructors have to train students to turn their heads because they have a
natural tendency to look forward and at the insturment panel. The
difficulty varies with individuals, but it is a common condition. Those who
have developed, re-enforced and associated the habit with flying, will have
the most difficulty.

Those of us who transition between auto transmission cars, standard
trucks, and motorcycles on a routine basis would call you a moron. So

would
the helo pilots who later obtained a fixed-wing rating. These are far more
involved, and much more ingrained as habits, than anything you might
develop in a sim. Moreover, flight instructors are used to dealing with
people that have no concept of aerodynamics, instrumentation, or thinking
in three dimensions, and flight schooling is geared around that, very
specifically. Arguing that 'changing views' is looked upon as a habit that
needs to be broken is unbelieveably ignorant.

There's a lot more to it than changing of views. The practice of facing
forward, limiting eye scan to a narrow range and associating that condition
with the controling of an aircraft will train a non-flyer to continue that
practice in the air. The habit can be overcome in most if not all cases,
but it does require extra time and effort. That can easily be the
difference between success and failure.

- Al.