Old October 27th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 5:47:21 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 3:51:58 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 4:33:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is one source for the needed battery cells (with tabs pre-welded):
https://www.batterybob.com/products/...tabs-lith-8-1/

Here is a source for the whole battery pack ready to plug in, $50 - not blessed by the factory:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACR-ResQlin...1/332810112016

I think I've been convinced that a PLB isn't worth buying.
T8

Evan (T8),

Since their inception I have always been conflicted which is "better", PLB or Tracker (aka SPOT, inReach, etc). I made a presentation to the ChicagoLand Glider Council on this back in 2008. To determine a preference I did a pro/con analysis. Below are some highlights.

==========
Full Disclosure - I have owned three different models of an ACR PLB and have never owned a Tracker.
==========

Tracking - The trackers are clearly the winner because the PLBs don't do this at all. It can really be fun to track a bunch of pilots at a big contest. Bottom line: If you must have the tracking feature, stop reading now.

History - PLB (and their cousins the EPIRB) coverage began in 1972 using the COSPAS-SARSAT satellites and federal ground support personnel. Trackers have been around since 2007 and uses the Globalstar system and supported by brand specific ground personnel. Does longevity in the business mean anything? Does who the personnel are behind the scenes mean anything?

Cost - The Trackers are clearly cheaper up front versus a PLB but the tracker's monthly charge quickly levels the playing field. I call this even.

Battery - Yes, the PLB's replacement battery is rather expensive. However, they are good for 5 years. Will the batteries in your Tracker be working when you really need them? Maybe. During an emergency, I favor the PLB.

Coverage - Both types are basically anywhere you might ever want to soaring and where you can get satellite* coverage. Even again.

* Both types use GPS satellites for location. Trackers also use commercial satellite systems for messaging. PLB's use governmental SAR-SAT satellites.

Emergency Support - Here is where the rubber meets the road. There are two aspects to this.

Homing Signal - I believe all modern PLBs do this. I don't believe that the Trackers do but could be wrong.

1) Who comes to save your behind? Here in the US it will basically be the local first responders for either system. A tie again. Outside the US is a different matter as a PLB alert will be responded to in 30+ countries.

2) How fast will they arrive once the system operators get the alert? To me this is the bottom of the bottom line. Once SPOT ground personnel are alerted, they determine where you are and contact the local first responders. For the PLBs the military (U.S. Air Force Rescue Coordination Center at Langley AFB) is contacted first and then scramble their forces.

My $0.02. I am sticking with my PLB as I feel that in a true emergency I have the best chance of rescue.

Thanks, John OHM Ω

No glider pilot is going to get a golden hour rescue no matter what kind of beeper they have(unless they are paying for a trauma team to follow them around in a helicopter.) With a tracker they will find your corpse, with a PLB less likely, unless you live long enough(and remember) post crash to turn it on. With a tracker your family and friends can get on with life sooner.