Old October 28th 18, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

Thanks Ohm. Divide a $150 battery replacement by 5 years and it is still way cheaper than any of the subscription services.

I would also add that by now we have other options for the tracking part. I've had good results this year using IGCdroid for tracking via the cellphone network, and that is free. I rely on IGCdroid for fun tracking, and on the PLB for real emergencies. Other tracking options include something like FLARMnet or OGN if you have that hardware and if ground stations are set up. GliderLink is now offered as another such option in the US.

No gizmo will work 100% of the time, and even if it does you may be dead. But the PLB does offer some chance of help. I am still working on a good way to attach it to the parachute though.