Old October 28th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

You can order a replacement battery pack he
http://battery.com.sg/our-products/4...7238-LI&brand=

Or you can easily build your own using CR123 lithium batteries with
solder tabs:
https://www.batterybob.com/products/...tabs-lith-8-1/

There are probably other solutions, but I like the do it yourself option.

On 10/27/2018 2:23 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 2:41:06 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
There is some weird speculation on this battery deal. So far it doesnt seem like anyone has actually opened the case to look. Sure it could be welded in. Or it could have some little clip that takes a handful of seconds to unplug. If its 50% the cost of the device to replace the battery, I would risk it and crack the device open. Because if I broke the device, I would chock it up to replacing legacy technology with something brand new. Maybe I'm just less risk averse because I've been building computers for 30 years, and have never shied away from cracking the case on something.

Certainly some people have opened it up. For example (with pictures):
https://advrider.com/f/threads/acr-r...cement.749245/

I'm confident I can replace the batteries myself, even if it requires soldering. And apparently you don't even need to "crack" the case, only unscrew a few screws. The issue is, if you buy generic batteries whereever, how can you be sure that they are of high enough quality to rely on them powering the PLB for 24 hours 5 years later?

Regarding the re-sealing of the case promised as part of the official battery replacement (how much can a gasket cost?), that is important if you are using the PLB for water sports. For aviation, not so much. Yes you may have a "water landing", but that's rather unlikely.

--
Dan, 5J