Old June 9th 19, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Oxygen Tank for Schleicher ASW 27 or 28

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 8:58:01 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Eastern Sailplane used to always have a stock of )2 cylinders that fit. Have you tried Eastern or Williams?

That was many years ago. The steel D and E cylinders are no longer in production.

At the end of 2013 when purchasing a steel D for the 29 from Wings and Wheels, Matt did not have stock and had Aerox get in touch directly. At that time Aerox claimed to have very little demand for the steel D and were selling their last few. 7T may have got the last one.

Perhaps others who have 27s with modified baggage compartments to fit an AL-682 (E), can document them in more detail than I did on the ASW27 newsgroup. An AL-415 (D) would be even easier to fit.
There are at least two 27s with this mod.
With the O2 cylinder in the top of the fuselage behind the air extractor, the factory O2 cylinder area can be lined with a PVC pipe or similar and used for other storage.

Another 29 I get to fly has a composite cylinder in the normal O2 mount. That cylinder is quite small, besides having a short life limit. An instant but more expensive option.
Jim