Old November 13th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Do you always have oxygen?

Mxsmanic wrote:
I am curious to know how many GA pilots always have oxygen on board,
even if they don't normally fly at high altitudes. It seems like it
would be good to have around, but I don't know how much it costs. Do
oxygen systems have to be frequently topped off or inspected or
measured? Do they just consist of masks for passengers and pilots to
wear?

I usually do. Many of the rental planes keep a bottle in the back too.
I have a large bottle I bring for the family 4 place, but also a
smaller, more manageble bottle with just one port for myself in the
Mooney. Any cross country requires O2 durnig the day and most any
flight outside the pattern at night requires O2. One of the planning
items to consider when traveling is the cost of O2 refill. I've paid as
little as $20 and as much at $130 (quantity doesn't make any
difference, they're charging you labor to pour it). Typically the Jet
Centers in the SW have the best prices.

-Robert