Old August 31st 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 3:53:27 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm hoping to find a softie with a square parachute.

From discussing this with both Don Mayer and the folks at Strong:
A square chute is much more sensitive in deployment (stable and
correct attitude). Both recommend a round emergency chute for
this reason. From discussing my recent bail-out with Don,
I'd probably be dead if I'd had a square chute.

FWIW, from a guy really happy to have had a Strong round emergency chute.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: I wish I'd had the larger diameter model, landing on rocks
at 11,000 density altitude my descent rate was a bit high...