Old April 25th 05, 04:51 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Dave Stadt wrote:
I have time in a Nanching (sp). It is an excellent airplane, solid airframe
and bullet proof engine. I don't see a problem as long as they don't use
Rotax engines.

I think the new Diamonds (DA-40 etc) use either the diesel or a Lycoming
O-360 (rated at 180hp).

Rotax aren't a bad engine manufacturers - you've gotta remember a lot of
their output is inherently less reliable 2-strokes.

The small 4cyl 4stroke fitted to the original Katana I think got a bad
rap mainly because there weren't many mainstream Lyco-Conti mechanics
who were familiar with it. We don't have a similar problem with the
Rotax 91* series engines here where they are more common (indeed, I've
flown behind the turbocharged 914S, and it's a very nice engine making
sea level power up to around 18000 feet, with automatic turbo and
mixture control).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net