Old October 5th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default Atmospheric conditions affecting VOR reception range

I was also wondering if the large amounts of carbon particulates in the
Arizona dry air could cause a static charge to build up on the airframe and
affect the signal.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"kontiki" wrote in message
Smoke will not affect VOR reception.

Mike Noel wrote:

Has anyone ever noticed a drop in VOR reception range when flying in
smoky conditions? Last Saturday in southern AZ we had significantly
reduced visibility from the big fire north of LA. I saw a lot of
flagging on and off of the CDI along with back and forth needle drift
until within about 30 miles of the VOR station. We usually get much
better reception.