Old April 19th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Winch Signals

On Apr 18, 8:00*pm, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 21:00 17 April 2009, Derek Copeland wrote:

BTW, our CFI wanted to fit T-handle release knobs to all our K13s after
this incident, but found that without spending a small fortune for an
'approved modification' under EASA rules, this would have invalidated
their Certificates of Airworthiness! I never cease to be amazed by the
bureaucratic stupidity of this organisation, who recently tried to

mandate
airspeed indicators for hot air balloons!

Derek Copeland

This would have been a very valid solution and done more to address the
problem. The release knob in my ASW17, and all early ASWs was very small
and buried in the recesses of the cockpit where it was very difficult to
get to. It would tend to hide underneath my legs. My solution was a loop
of para cord secured to the release and around my wrist, with sufficient
slack to avoid accidental release, which ensured that I never had to
search for the release and, just as important allowed me to have my hand
on the flap lever where it was needed in the early stage of the launch.

My BGA senior inspector removed my device of similar reliability and
offered to swage a proper fitting. Seems that was unacceptable pre-
EASA.