Old January 14th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Advice on landing lights?

"Harvey Spencer" wrote in message
I know that the XV-36 light offered by XeVision at
http://www.aerovisions.com/pic/XV-36-SL-new.jpg will meet the FAA
requirements for brightness and light pattern. It uses the D1S bulb xenon
arc bulb which is better than the D2S commonly used in automobiles since it
has the starting ballast integrated into the base of the bulb.

[SNIP]
These lights are not cheap, about $550 through places like Aircraft Spruce,
but you get what you pay for. I think I saw a xenon arc light offered by
Chief Aircraft for about $350 but found out that the lens and reflector is
plastic.

Thanks for all the details, Harvey. I had looked at XeVision but found the
price kinda steep. The Hella ones sell for about $350 each and are a bit
smaller. Unfortunately they are usually offered in pairs ($699) for car
owners.

Rob