Old July 16th 18, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Which ClearNav vario display?

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 11:06:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 10:21:12 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the thermal assistant. This is over and above the vario's base price of $1950.

This didn't sound right so I checked the ClearNav site. The $1950 gets you the XC (full, including the thermal assistant and IGC logger) version with the square LCD display. I don't see the less expensive Club version in the price list, however, although it's still described in detail on the product pages.

Also what's NOT on the site anymore is the older round analog display. I'd heard a rumor that CN was going to discontinue this display. Can anyone comment?

Chip Bearden

Chip - You are correct. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

The $1950 is for whole she-bang - the LCD display, the behind the panel ADC board *AND* the XC license needed for the thermal assistant (with navigation and IGC logger). As mine was an upgrade only I ordered the LCD display ($550) and then separately the XC license ($600).

So let's circle back on the cost breakdown;

I paid $550+$600=$1150 for the LCD and XC License
That is 75% of the cost of a whole new setup ($1550 for LCD+ADC+XC License)! Still seems high to me.
What I should have done is bought the whole new setup then sold my old complete-but-used "analog" CNv + ADC board (w/o XC license) setup for $???? to help recoup costs*.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Opportunity lost. Dang.

Thanks, John OHM Ω

* It is possible that the XC license was NOT included in the $1550 at the time that I purchased my upgrade (late 2016). I see on the Cumulus web site at the very bottom of the list of features of the whole LCD CNv setup (CNi-0669); "Upgradeable at any time to CNv Cross Country version. You can purchase an upgrade that is tied to the serial number of the unit to upgrade it to a CNv Cross Country." That statement seems superfluous if the XC license is already included. Right? Expiring minds want to know.

- John