Old February 22nd 04, 07:57 AM
fudog50

The Tomcat is gone quicker than you can think....
There is a big push by CNO to axe the F-14 sooner than planned, like
now is too late...watch and see.

The F/A-18 (I assume you mean the B/C/D models) already has a
replacement, E/F. I don't think you are following current Naval
Aviation very well.

There is no need to replace the E/F Hornet, it will be pulling
fighter/CAP/FAC/Bomber/tanker etc. duties for the next 10 years.
Totally capable of performing all the above, with no current or future
enemy threat that can match it.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 04:20:49 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was
not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
Why not upgrade it then?

This way there would be cross over between the FB-22 and the F-35
(engines especially).

Also why not market the C-17 to the air freight community?