Old March 13th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen

Default Navigation flight planning during training

On 03/13/07 03:32, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
This question is directed at student pilots and flight instructors.

How many of you learn/teach cross country navigation using the
traditional methods using paper charts, protractors, E6B and
navigation logs?

Well, I'm neither but I am traditional. Certainly the newer and more convenient
ways of flight planning need to be taught. At the same time, I think you're
doing your student a disservice if he doesn't learn how to do it the old
fashioned way. You don't always have access to a computer.

The only thing I would change in this paragraph is calling it "the old
fashioned way". I think the student should learn and understand the basics
of the flight plan before automation can safely be applied.

Learning the basics really drive home the issues of wind correction angles,
fuel consumption, etc., all very important concepts even when using automated
flight planning software and GPSs.

It would be analogous to expecting to fly by GPS only to have it take a crap on
you. Certainly being able to find your way via VORs and NDBs would be an
advantage.

When I was learning, even though we had a perfectly reliable VOR system, we
still were expected to be able to find our way by pilotage. I can, too...
though it's hardly the way I'd choose to go. But the skill set wasn't a total
waste of time.

What you should choose depends on the flight. Some flights I navigate by pilotage
simply because it is more fun. Especially night flights.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA