Old August 27th 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill[_21_]

Default Another stall spin

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:11:45 AM UTC-4, Jp Stewart wrote:
From TA's Dansville contest write-up:

"Unfortunately, we were also saddened to hear of yet another apparent stall-spin fatality; Jim Rizzo, Finger Lakes club president and FAA Designated Examiner for the area was killed when his glider crashed into a farmer’s field not far from the Dansville airport. Jim was not part of the contest and was just flying locally when the accident occurred. All we know is what the farmer said (and this is 3rd hand to me) that apparently Jim was trying to thermal away from a low altitude and spun in (sound familiar? – it should – this is the 3rd almost identical fatality this season here on the east coast)."

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/08/day-6...ille-region-3/

JP

I’m very sad to hear of Jim’s accident. It sends a clear message that this can happen to anyone including me! Having been CFIGing for many years, I know that I have not adequately trained my students in spins. The equipment just doesn’t allow.

I also know that the late Kai Gertsen wrote a series of instructional publications including what I deem most valuable, “Why Spin Training”. This well written report about Spins is written for glider pilots and we all need to read, digest and read again to help us understand how we can be better prepared to deal with a spin situation. I require every pilot to read Kai’s Spin report as part of their BFR.

Quoting the first chapter on of the latest edition of “Why Spin Training” from Kai Gertsen’s just published book, “Desperate to Fly”….

“Spinning is the biggest cause of gliding fatalities. Every year we lose a handful of our fellow glider pilots in this country to spin-ins. This is truly tragic, as I am certain these accidents would not occur if all pilots received adequate spin training. I know of several cases where spin training saved the day. Pilots who are not prepared are not likely to take proper action when the time comes”.

Please buy this book from Wings and Wheels or the publisher, BTLinkpublishing.com. This is the really good information that we need to understand. Lets put an end to this tragic accident.

I send my deepest condolences to Jim Rizzo’s family and friends.

Bill Batesole