Old July 4th 03, 07:11 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:01:28 +0100, Greg Hennessy
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:48:39 -0600, D. Scott Ferrin
wrote:

I've also read they kicked around the idea of one with two J-58s.

I read that elsewhere, the J58 was also mooted for the Thud and the B58 as
well I believe.

I am sure Ed would like to fill us in on the merits of a J58 powered F-105
:-).

greg

Never heard that about the Thud though I could imagine :-) Others
I've heard considered for the J-58 were a variant of the Crusader III
(which was already pretty fast with the J-75) and several types of
B-58. On the downside I was reading some of the history of the J58
and it seems the one looked at for the Crusader III would have only
had about 26,000lbs of thrust so I'm not sure what it would have got
them as the J75 the prototypes had put out 29k