Old July 11th 03, 05:46 PM
Dave Stadt

wrote in message

On 10-Jul-2003, "Mike Rapoport" wrote:

Obviously the expected rate of return on those
investments is much lower than it was three years ago.

I think you have identified the primary reason why premiums have been

going
up recently. Certainly claims costs have not risen as fast. On the other
hand, in my case aircraft hull and liability insurance price is still
roughly comparable to auto insurance. For $85 hull (zero deductible) and
$1M smooth coverage on our Arrow IV we pay around $2200/year. For a car
worth about $18K, and adding a reasonable portion of the cost of $1M
umbrella liability insurance, I pay about $1100/year ($500 deductible).

The
key is that all named pilots of the plane have at least several hundred
hours and, very significantly, all are instrument rated.

I was recently told by an insurance broker that for a typical aircraft
owner, the cost of getting an instrument rating (in your own plane) will

be
returned in less than 3 years by reduced insurance premiums. Has anybody
seen their premiums go down after getting their IFR rating?

-Elliott Drucker

To return the cost if an instrument rating in 3 years the insurance company
would have to pay me about $1,000 a year. Not going to happen.