Old January 24th 21, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 4:51:05 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
could on-site rapid testing be implemented for all SSA sanctioned contests this year? I realize its better to get tested 5 days prior and then quarantine, but its better than nothing.
On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 9:21:12 AM UTC-8, Richard Owen wrote:
Happy New Year (almost)! Although 2020 was difficult, it is heartening how many of us have adapted to this virus. The first day of the Senior Soaring Championship was the same day the President called Covid a National Emergency. We did not have a single case within 100 miles of the gliderport. The contest staff met several times to change the format of the contest. No meetings, gloves, sanitizer, take away food at dinners, and staying socially distanced. We completed the contest but that was at the beginning of the virus. At Seminole-Lake we suspended all training and rides but did provide towing services. You had to hook up your own glider and pay via electronic means. During the summer, Florida gradually opened up and we adapted again.. We started training, limited rides, and normal towing services. We did have one of our staff get Covid and he recovered without going to the hospital. The student and instructor quarantined and our procedures checked again.

Our business in early summer was off year to year but around June it started back. Now we are doing OK. We have slightly less students and flight training than last year, but with the challenges over the last 10 months, we are doing extremely well.

In October we decided to go forward with the Senior Soaring Championship for 2021. Right now we have over 53 pilots signed up with several who will be registering in the next couple of days. Our contestants are over 55 years old and most are over 60 years old. We have a Covid mitigation plan, reviewed it with the county health department, and are trying to arrange testing for all competitors upon arrival. Hope may not be a strategy in sailplane racing (thanks DB), but it is a trait Americans are born with. Looking forward to a better 2021 and hope you and your families are safe and healthy.. If you need a new glider rating, we would love to see you at Seminole-Lake Gliderport!

Cheers,
Richard Owen
Vice President
Seminole Flying & Soaring

Good luck with the on site testing, us seniors cannot even get the vaccine, yet others come from NY and other states to get their vaccine shots in Florida. Argentina and Brazil are selling COVID packages to Florida. My wife is in the medical field, talk to her about the availability!