Old August 7th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
James Sleeman

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

On Aug 7, 3:39 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Are external combustion engines as efficient as internal combustion
engines? Stirling engines are great for converting waste heat to
mechanical energy, but I'm not sure how appropriate they would be for
aircraft propulsion.

In theory, I think that stirling engines are quite well suited to
aircraft, all it needs is a source of "hot" and a source of "cold",
the cold is in abundance (stick a heatsink in the wind, higher you go,
colder it gets, more power the engine can deliver, directly the
opposite of IC), the hot could be provided with any number of
combustables (and some oxygen delivery system).

I found yesterday after writing my initial post an article about
exactly this - http://www.qrmc.com/fourpartstirling.html "Why Aviation
Needs the Stirling Engine by Darryl Phillips" from 1993/1994.

Given what was said in the article, I'm kind of surprised that nobody
has come up with a working protoype actually.