Old August 7th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
Maxwell

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Personally, I'd like to see an electrically powered parachute
(http://skyhighflying.com/homepage.html) design attempted. Surly the
lighter weight would require less power. It would seem that
lithium-ion polymer batteries are a potential enabling technology.

They might be lightweight and strong, but I think they would be far too
inefficent. All the canopies I have been around have had a very poor L/D
when compared to something like a sailplane.

I always assumed they were so popular because they were so strong, portable
and quick to set-up. But I'm thinking their fuel mileage would be very poor.