Old April 12th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
GeorgeB

Default Tire inflation with Nitrogen or ?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:16:53 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
.. .

And ordinary compressed air is already 80% nitrogen.

But the oxygen and ozone, along with a few other gasses does
accellerate the deterioration of the rubber, and the nitrogen stays in
better than the rest (co2 included) Also more temperature stable,
pressure-wize.

I'm not 100% sure what Clare means by "more temperature stable, pressure
wise.", but all gasses follow Boyle's law, which is Pressure x Volume =
Number of moles x Avogadro's number x Temperature... PV=NRT. Essentially,
for a given temperature increase, all gasses expand (or increase pressure,
given a fixed volume) at the same ratio.

KB

Kyle, those of us in hydraulics would really like to buy some of your
ideal gas ... our accumulators would work SO much better. GRIN

Argon does not conduct heat as well as nitrogen, likely insignificant
to any of our applications. Argon, I _think_ but cannot document, is
a monoatomic gas; nitrogen is diatomic. The heat/compression
equations are different; look at polytropic constants. Real gasses
are very complex in their behaviors.

Argon is more inert and more expensive. Over the years, I've searched
for definitive advantages for one over the other; all I have been able
to find is that even in non-price sensitive applications, like
military aircraft accumulators, where even the smallest advantage
would be taken, nitrogen is used.

I'd like to see some real research; there are some electro-hydraulic
applications that would gladly pay for the argon to improve system
stability, if it will.

George