Old November 26th 03, 10:48 PM
Michael

(Rich Stowell) wrote
Really? If that were true, then there would be hard data.

Yes, really

No, not really. No hard numbers on actual engine failures (or
stall-spins for that matter) - only the ones that led to an NTSB
reported accident.

True, but that's stating the obvious since NTSB only gets involved in,
and thus only reports on, those encounters that have led to actual
accidents.

But this hideously skews the picture. The only way the events are
comparable is if the probability of an engine failure leading to an
accident is approximately equivalent to the probability of a
stall-spin leading to an accident. This is exactly what I am
disputing.

Define "rarely." From an industrial accident prevention standpoint,
the theoretical ratio 1:30:300 is often applied wherein for every 331
hazardous encounters of a similar type, only one will progress as far
as an actual accident (significant damage and/or injury). The rest
fall under "incidents" and "hazards."

That ratio is nothing more than an expression of ignorance. In
reality, depnding on the hazard the numbers can be very different.

Industrial safety types love to quote statistics like this to scare
people, but in reality there is usually a reason why some hazardous
encounters lead to accidents or incidents while most do not. It's not
random. These reasons generally have to do with individual skill,
knowledge, and experience as well as factors the industrial safety
people are never told because they involve routine violations of
safety rules. Often the same dynamic plays out in NTSB
investigations.

In other words, typically 1 out of 331 encounters of a similar type
results in an accident, whether it's precipitated by an engine failure
or an inadvertent stall/spin.

No, this is total nonsense because stall-spins and engine failures are
not similar. First of all, a mechanical failure generally occurs in a
manner that is beyond the pilot's control. When the main seal blows
out, or the engine swallows a valve, or a rod goes through a cylinder,
or the fuel injectors clog with rust - that's almost always completely
independent of pilot skill, knowledge, and judgment. On the other
hand, an inadvertent stall-spin is caused by the pilot. Therefore,
we're not even looking at the same population.

Just by virtue of the fact that the pilot allowed the inadvertent
stall-spin situation to develop, we can expect that he is less likely
to handle it properly. The same is not true of engine failure.

In the case of NTSB data, one could
extrapolate to get a feel for the order of magnitude of problems
pilots deal with in a particular category by multiplying the number of
accidents by 331.

This is absolutely ridiculous. In addition to the issue of hazard
exposure (mechanical engine failures don't discriminate but
stall-spins do) there is also the issue of hazard magnitude. Off
field landings in gliders, for example, are VERY rarely fatal. The
ratio there is 5000:1. On the other hand, I would be amazed if the
fatality ratio for midairs was much better than 3:1. 331 may be a
good all-around average in aviation (or it may not - data are not
available) but to apply it indiscriminately to all types of hazards
makes no sense at all.

For that matter, most engine failure fatalities in light singles are
not the result of collision with terrain (which is usually survivable)
but of failure to maintain flying speed (which usually isn't). That's
basically a stall/spin anyway.

Two things: First, approximately 19 percent of stall/spin accidents
are preceded by an engine failure. But the primary accident cause is
still listed as "stall/spin."

There is one school of thought that considers this proper. Just
because engine power is lost is no excuse to stall and spin. Gliders
don't even have engines. However, that doesn't change the fact that
had the engine kept running, the stall-spin would likely not have
happened.

Second, the contention that "failure to maintain flying speed" is
"basically a stall/spin anyway" is pure myth. Spins are the result of
two ingredients that must coexist: yaw and stall. And neither yaw nor
stall is a function of airspeed. Up to the point where the wings
decide to bend or break, stalls and spins can and do occur at any
airspeed, and in any attitude.

That's all great, but the reality is that in normal flight (not
involving aerobatics or other abrupt maneuvering) stall avoidance is
all about keeping your airspeed up. Those 19% of stall-spins caused
by engine failure are the result of trying to stretch the glide or
maneuvering to make a landing area, and likely both.

In my experience, and based on the research I've read, I'd postulate
that the majority of stall/spin accidents occur with the airplane
operating somewhere between 1.07 to 1.20 times Vso and 1.15 to 1.41-g.
In other words, with pilots pulling into an uncoordinated, accelerated
stall while turning at bank angles between 30 and 45 degrees.

That's great, but had those pilots maintained at least 1.3 Vso for
these maneuvers, they would not have stalled. Thus saying airspeed is
irrelevant is technically correct but not particularly useful.

Yes, you can stall at any airspeed in any attitude. I've stalled at
100+ kts (in a plane which normally stalled at 60 kts), full power,
and the nose 80 degrees below the horizon - as an aerobatic instructor
I'm sure you know exactly what I did wrong to make that happen. That
doesn't change the reality - in an engine-out situation, the
stall-spin is caused by a failure to maintain flying speed.

Michael