Old June 20th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Future of Electronics In Aviation

In rec.aviation.piloting Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:54?pm, Bob Noel
wrote:

[...]
What makes you think that software engineering, or system
engineering, has progressed to the point that a software intensive
system would be developed "with proper discipline"?

That's fair enough. Software, perhaps more than any other discpline,
allows engineers to place themselves where they are most comfortable
on the spectrum of intellectual discipline.

[...]
In any case, while process is important, the end result is most
important. And the end result would be seen by many people, before
the aircraft is flown, so most defects would be recognized. I would
imagine that there would be people who would criticize the
architecture for free.

From the perspective of dealing with software development for about
a quarter century now, all I can say is that it is obvious you know
**** from shinola about software development, reliability, and
testing.

Well I've been programming for 35 years and been getting paid to do it for
30, so by your own metric I am presumably in some sort of authoritative
position to judge your counter arguments to Lapin re software development.
But I somehow doubt you really want to know what I think of your arguments.
;-)

Have you ever known reliablility and correctness testing to be either
easy or cheap, particularly when dealing with life critical systems?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.