Old January 30th 17, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Agreed.

To the OP, unless you fly at sea level, please get used to setting the altimeter to field elevation, all aero maps use altitude above sea level. It is also good to get used to it now before getting much further.
If need be, use a small piece of white tape in the middle of the altimeter with field elevation written on it as a reminder. I do that when flying at a contest site. As an example, HHSC/Elmira is on a hill next to a valley, quite a difference between the two elevations. It would also be a hassle doing a final glide over ridges to a valley airport and trying to figure out if you will clear terrain.

You may also want to inquire about getting your airspeed calibrated/serviced, yours is quite a bit off "0" unless it was really windy when you took the picture. ;-)

NOTE: I'm an ex-CFIG, contest and badge pilot in regards to altimeter setting.