Old September 23rd 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On 9/22/2012 10:55 PM, wrote:
Dear gliderpilots!

Manufacturers are not completely sure which is the way to go. So here
you can vote for your favorite sustainer system:

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com/voting.php

Most pilots aren't knowledgeable about the attributes of all the
choices, so the voting might not be well informed. Because there are
significant differences between the types, I suggest you revise the page
to give the voters some realistic choices. For example, you could have a
table with these columns:

Engine type
Performance effects: Added weight and drag
Typical retrieve distance
Retrieve speed (cruise and sawtooth)
Ease of use
Reliability (failure to start rate)
Costs: Purchase price and maintenance

Personally, I want the sustainer with the simplicity of the FES, the
high speed of the jet, and the distance obtained by the petrol engine!

Kidding aside, I think most glider pilots would find their enjoyment of
soaring quite enhanced by a sustainer that provided as little as 3000
feet of climb. I think most landouts could be avoided with that much
"reserve", and it would give pilots the confidence to fly more often and
fly further.

email me)