Old May 22nd 15, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

Default Help us with this petition for security on anti-collision systems

At 12:50 22 May 2015, Tango Whisky wrote:
Am Freitag, 22. Mai 2015 14:00:04 UTC+2 schrieb Tim Newport-Peace:
At 10:30 22 May 2015, wrote:
Hi,
we recently launched a petition against Flarm decision to encrypt

their
communication protocols.

Although Flarm have the majority of the market for anti-collision

systems
there are others vendors and we think that monopolies are not a good

things
in any market and more important security comes first.

For this reasons we invite you to subscribe our campaign.

https://www..communication-protocol

Thank you so much!
Sergio

Do you have any connection with DSX?

As far as I know they are the only equipment manufacturer offering a

Flarm
?compatible? instrument that does not use integrated Flarm (tm)

Firmware.

The new encryption of Flarm is a result of the OGN activity which more or
less pirated the existing protocol, as well as the existing FlarmNet
database without asking for permission.
OGN then put all tracked gliders with their real ID onto a public website
map.

Wrong in many ways. Earlier releases of Flarm were time-bombed long before
OGN came into being.

There has always been an opt-out.

While in France people generally like that, a fair number of pilots in
Germany were upset by the fact that their real-time tracks were visible

on
a public map without having been asked. I myself don't want this to

happen.

The opt-out.

So the choice was simple - either a new encryption, or a large number of
pilots simply switching off their Flarm. I am happy with the encryption.

No. It was going to happen anyway.

Now OGN people are just ****ed off that they have to hack the protocol

Not ****ed off. OGN up and running on V6.
again.