Old August 15th 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

Default SSA responds to ANPRM

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 14:15:58 +0000, David Kinsell wrote:

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 23:04:44 -0700, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 10:46:54 PM UTC-7, David Kinsell wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:15:48 -0700, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Not all PowerFLARM actually receive 1090ES, most (all?) sold in the
USA do. At one time there was talk of sales of models without 1090S
In in the USA, I'm not sure if any sales actually happened (it's a
very bad idea IMNSO becasue of 1090ES Out/possible future TABS
compatibility).

Craggyaero has them on their website, at a very substantial discount.
I hate to see that too, but expect people buy them.

More common is probably turning off the TCAS type of alerts since the
proximity alarms get annoying.

-Dave

I see one mention of "Core Pure" on one page at Craggy and a price but
nowhere to actually buy one. I'm hoping it really is not for sale.
Richard???

Likewise there is scattered mention of Core Pure on the Cumulus Soaring
Web site but no "Pure" device listed for actual sale.

For reasons that now should be cleaner with ADS-B/1090ES Out adoption
and possible TABS futures, glider pilots/owners in the USA really
should want to have a 1090ES capable receiver in their PowerFLARM.

Posting on 1/26/2014 from Remde on ras:

"I will have a limited supply of the PowerFLARM Core Pure version 1.0
(without audio output hardware) available in a few days."

Sounds like that was a premature announcement and the product got yanked
soon after. Craggy still has it in a comparison chart with USD end-user
price listed, hopefully just really old data. W&W has so little info on
the PF line listed it makes you wonder if they're actually trying to
sell anything. No displays, no antennas, no info on all the stupid
little keys you have to buy.

And I really wish PF users would keep their TCAS type alerts turned on,
I had a close encounter with a friend while I was pinging away with Mode
C.

-Dave

Oops, meant PCAS, not TCAS