Old September 15th 03, 08:47 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:31:28 -0400, Richard Russell
wrote:
Congratulations Corky. I got my ticket in early July and took the
wife (married 29 years) for her first flight in late July. She is
claustrophobic, scared of heights and gets motion sickness. For the
six months that I was taking lessons, I tried to get her to go up
with my instructor figuring that that would eliminate the additional
fear associated with flying with a newbee. She refused and said that
she would only fly with me, if at all. Funny what 29 years can do.
She actually trusts me more than the person that I recommend as the
one who should be trusted.

Rich Russell

This is going to sound a bit loopy.

I can hear my wife saying exactly the same thing, but I don't think
it's necessarily because she trusts me, and doesn't trust a stranger.

She'd see no point in going for an airplane ride just to go for an
airplane ride by herself. But going for an airplane ride with ME
satisfies several criteria: She knows how much I love flying, hell,
it's just about the only thing I talk about besides family, so she'd
like to share in that with me, to discover with me what it is I keep
going on about.

But she also doesn't want to outlive a viable life to become an
invalid (both my parents became invalids. She and I both spent a lot
of time caring for them and her mother has advanced Parkinsons) and
for that reason wants to be with me when we crash/burn/die...

It's a sick joke I've heard her mention at parties when people ask her
what she thinks of me building an airplane. But I'm not so sure it's
entirely a joke.

Corky Scott