Old May 16th 05, 05:50 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
It's quite unwarranted to hold a student-pilot passenger partly
responsible
for errors by the PIC involving skills that may be beyond the
passenger's
current training

While that may be so, I think it is still within the realm of the
warranted to
call both guys idiots.

How is the passenger an idiot for lacking a specialized skill that he may
not even have been trained for yet?

And you still haven't explained how you arrived at the conclusion that the
passenger *didn't* make correct navigational suggestions that the PIC may
have disagreed with and disregarded. Or how you concluded that the
passenger wasn't just doing something else, such as scanning for traffic
or taking a nap, instead of navigating.

Do you assume that your passengers will monitor your navigation when you
fly? Do you call them idiots if they don't?

I'm with Gary on this one. On the one hand you have a pilot who has had a
certificate since 1969. On the other hand you have a student pilot which
could be anything from he just stopped by the AME and took the physical up
to he was going for his check ride that day.

This was 100% the error of the PIC. The student had no more responsibility
for this flight than me in the back of a 747 which is limited to if I see
the wing is on fire I should probably mention it to the Stew, but I'm under
no legal obligation to do so.

Gig