Old July 23rd 03, 03:54 PM
robert arndt

Phil Miller wrote in message . ..
On 22 Jul 2003 08:54:06 -0700, (robert arndt) wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/as...olomons.force/

And?

I'm wondering if the warlord Keke will put up a fight against the
Aussies. The operation is supposed to restore order and cut off gun
running to nearby Papau New Guinea. Most of the international force
are police, medical, and communications units with Australia the only
real fighting force. It will be interesting to see what developes.
Australia is seeking a more "active" military role in both regional
and world conflicts. We Americans don't realize what a huge transition
this is from a mainly defensive force to one that can now take
offensive action. The Aussies are also reconsidering nuclear weapons
and strategic delivery systems in light of the percieved future war in
Asia involving the US vs N Korea and/or China. That's just "too close
for comfort" to Oz... not to mention the Al Qaida cells operating
nearby and the memory of the Bali attack.

Rob