Old September 5th 16, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Xcskies

Did you really say that the ability to zoom in on a location makes the
forecast less accurate? I'd love to hear an explanation of that. I
might agree that the resolution for a tight zoom is not available, but
that does not make a 4-state region displayed in the size of a post card
more accurate, simply more dense. I find it very useful to be able to
pan and zoom over an area ranging from the local area to several
states. Admittedly I don't do many multiple state flights but the
capability is there.

I'd guess that all of these soaring forecasts come from the same input
data and use the same algorithms to generate the forecast. The only
difference is the user interface and its functionality. My experience
is that XCSkies has more display functionality.

If you've never tried XCSkies, why did you chime in at all?

On 9/4/2016 11:33 PM, Ramy wrote:
I've been using Dr Jack blipmap and RASP for over 10 years. Never had a problem, and it proved to be the most accurate forecasting tool around. And it 's free. Never used XCSkies, never had a reason to. Unless you live outside of the US I don't see a reason why paying for an inferior service with zero support. Sure the UI is much more modern and you can zoom in on the maps as much as you want, but this does not make it any more accurate. To the contrary.

Ramy

--
Dan, 5J