Old January 18th 04, 12:22 AM
Roger Halstead

Anyone besides me a Babylon 5 junky? Season 4, episode 8 titled "The
Illusion of Truth" was exactly this. Interstellare Network (ISN) did a
story on the Babylon 5 station and through editing made it look like an
aweful place run by a mentally ill commander and staffed by a corrupt crew.
And yet that episode of a science fiction show that aired for the first time
on 2-17-1997 mirrors exactly that is happening in the media today.

I watched the original and the again on the sci-fi channel

Makes me wonder at what point can the networks be held for slander. If you
say GA is safe, and CBS does its editing magic turning your meaning around
to say it is a security risk, why can't you file a lawsuit against them for
slander because they broadcast you on national TV after distorting your
message to fit their goals? What you mean is more important than what you
say. If I was interviewed and they chopped up the interview and played
clips out of context in a way that changed the meaning of what I said, to me
that is slander. They would be presenting a message I had not intended and
showing a point of view as if it were mine when it is not. Is that not a
definition of slander?

That *might* be worth pursuing to the FCC.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com