Old September 20th 03, 04:21 AM
Mike Marron

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

For example, a standard AN6 bolt (3/8-inch diameter shank) has
a shear strength of approx. 8700 lbs. IIRC. And there is probably
more than just one of these or similiar types of bolts securing the
ECM gear to the belly of an F-4.

But that's 'shear strength' isn't it?...sounds to me as if these
pods are held on so as not to use the shear strength, right?

As opposed to what, tensile strength? Could be (I've never hung an
ECM pod on an F-4) but the bottom line is that it's highly unlikely
an ECM pod could be "ripped" from the belly of an F-4 while maneuvering.

If you're interested, this is a highly recommended book: Carroll Smith's
Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook.

MJM