Old June 4th 05, 04:28 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article 6E0oe.883$qE2.219@trndny09,
George Patterson wrote:

Corky Scott wrote:

Well I do, I was an auto mechanic with gas started being laced with
alcohol, and saw the results several times.

Oh, I saw the results. What I meant was that I do not remember what it was in
those hoses and such that was affected by exposure to alcohol.

One of my friends was a line mechanic for an Oldmobile dealer. His stories
were
similar to yours. I happened to own a Ford during that period, and my only
problems involved hoses in the fuel system. Our other car was an Opel, but it
would only run on Amoco high test, so we never had an alcohol-related problem
with it.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

I have a book, "Aviation Fuels and their Effecton Engine Performance,"
dated 1953, by the Ethyl Corp. and supplied to the USAF (P.O.
AF-33(600)5312) and USN (Contract no. 52-202). In it they state that
hoses subjected to petroleum-based fuels will deteriorate when exposed
to paraffins or napthalene-based fuels; likewise, hoses that have been
subjected to paraffin or napthalene-based fuels will deteriorate when
exposed to petroleum-based fuels.

IOW, the hoses work well with either kind of fuel, but you will get into
trouble when you switch fuels. This phenomenon is exactly what happened
to autos when MTBE became widespread.