Old March 28th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which airport file to choose?

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 4:37:40 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
I am looking at the files available for download on soaringweb.org. Specifically these for central Florida: http://soaringweb.org/TP/Seminole
I use XCsoar/Top Hat and I want to download the file that will show me an airport's radio frequency when I touch the airport symbol on the map. In the past I have been out on course getting low and looking at an airport and the info file did not show the frequency. So which of the many files here should I pick? Thanks!

For Tophat I use the SeeYou (.cup) file format. I assume the same would work for XCsoar. It is a plain text file and you can view it (and edit it) in any text editor (such as Wordpad on a Windows PC). You can see it in text form right in your browser he http://soaringweb.org/TP/Seminole/seminl9a.cup.txt
(You can then save it and rename seminl9a.cup - and then you can still ask Wordpad to open it.)

If you look inside that file you will see entries like this:

"Seminole Lake","6FL0",US,2824.100N,08150.300W,120ft,2,180,3 000ft,,"Turn Point, #34, Private, 6FL0, 18/36 Turf, RW width: 200"

- the last field is for comments. (That is what's following the last comma, "Turn Point... - the quotes are optional but you need them if there are commas inside the field as in this case.) You can put anything you want there, including the radio frequency, but keep the whole comment short (what's in the example above is fairly long) because some glide-computer software will only show that much of it.

Furthermore, there is a field specifically for the radio frequency, and your glide-computer software may show it in a dedicated slot in the display of the waypoint details. E.g., from the same file:

"Plant City","PCM",US,2800.000N,08209.900W,153ft,5,099,39 50ft,123.050,"PCM, 10/28 Paved, RW width: 75, UNICOM: 123.05, Fuel: 100LL"

- the radio frequency (123.050) follows the runway length (3950ft). (In this case it is ALSO entered as part of the comments field.) Missing entries show as consecutive commas, e.g., in the Seminole Lake entry quoted above, there are two commas after the runway length of 3000ft. You can add the frequency yourself between those commas.

Yes this means manual touching up of the data. It's convenient to download a pre-made file, but I maintain my own copy, since I eventually learn that so-and-so airstrip is now a strip-mall, or is too narrow for gliders, etc. So I delete some points, add comments to others, etc. I also add new waypoints that help me define my own tasks.