Old March 18th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Landing on one wheel

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.

A friend of mine got a nasty surprise when he tried this on a dirt strip a
few years back. I had already landed and was shooting some video of him
doing one-wheel T&Gs in his 182. After 4 of these (2 on each wheel) he
landed. When I looked at the outboard leading edge of the elevator, there
was a hole showing. Seems the dirt and pebbles coming off the main gear shot
straight back to the elevator and sandblasted a hole in the thin material
(can't remember if it was thin metal or plastic).

Fortunately, he had some 200 Kt. metalized duct tape on hand to get him
home.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)