Old November 20th 05, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default USAF wimps out

Title due to the NG to which it was posted. g

MW

From the AP:

Air Force Commander Cancels Fla. Air Show

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The commander of MacDill Air Force Base canceled
next spring's air show, citing security concerns.

Air Force Col. Maggie Woodward said in a statement Friday that no
specific threat prompted the move. She said it would simply require too
much energy and resources to properly protect the nearly 6,000-acre
facility that houses the 6th Air Mobility Wing.

"As the leadership of the base weighed the pros and cons of having the
airshow, our security situation and the incredible tempo our folks have
been maintaining for over a year led us to decide that it was too much
to ask of the troops to hold an airshow in 2006,'' Woodward said.

Air Fest, alternately headlined by the Air Force's Thunderbirds and the
Navy's Blue Angels, drew 350,000 people last year and half a million in
2004.