Old May 12th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Spin recovery vs tail design

John Smith wrote:
To answer your question: Outside aileron often flattens the spin because
it increases the drag on the inner wing, this accelerates the rotation,
which increases the centrifugal forces and therefore flattens the spin.
The consequence is twofold: The angular momentum increases while the
rudder becomes less effective to the point that the rotation cannot be
stopped anymore.

By "outside aileron", I assume you mean "the aileron motion achieved by
moving the stick towards the outside of the turn/spin". Sometimes that
is called "top aileron", as when you are in a turn, and the outside wing
is the high wing.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org