Old December 15th 16, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Asg29 very slow water dumping issue (20+ minutes and wings stillhalf full or more)

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 6:48:05 AM UTC-5, Sean wrote:
This has been a problem since late this summer. Asymmetric and or slow dumping.

After having the valves open today for (guessing) 20+ minutes (to be sure it was dry) I landed to find the wings with significant water (10-15 gallons a side) still on-board. Water flows thru the outboard panels so they are clear. The valves seem to be opening fine on the ground. We checked the outer panel for flow carefully this am before flying. Water flowed thru easily when the full wing was lowered slightly.

This is quite a mystery. It cost me significantly today. I thought I was empty but was still well over 10 lb/ft I'm guessing by the amount of water still in the wings when I had landed. It took 5-7 minutes for the water to dump AFTER I had landed.

Any ideas on what could be cuasing an excessively slow dump cycle? Anyone else having this problem? What else should I check for? What is the expected dump time for a 29? I use 6 minutes to be safe usually.

Maybe I was perceiving actual dump time wrong (need a stopwatch)? Maybe I thought only 3 minutes was 10-15? Maybe I was my using the fuselage tank valve handle accidentally and not the wing/tail? Even if this was the case it was 7-10 minutes from my last "thermal" to the ground and the water was flowing fine out of each wing valve when I landed. So the right valve handle was opened at this point. This should have emptied the wings alone easily, to say nothing if the 10-20 minutes the valves were open in occasional dumps before that point.

Thanks in advance for ideas...

Sincerely,

Sean

Looks like you got it fixed, Good job in race 2