Old October 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
Peter Duniho

"Mad Scientist Jr" wrote in message
om...
if you dig up the nat. geographic magazine from 1970, there are color
pictures that show full color graphics of a runway - this is years
before color video games began to appear. what system was this???

I don't know -- I don't have that magazine around for me to dig up -- but
flight simulators predate wide-spread use of computers by at least a decade,
possibly more.

Early flight simulators include the pneumatically powered Link instrument
flight trainers, and visual trainers that used terrain models and a video
camera that was moved along the modeled terrain according to pilot inputs.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the simulator depicted in the 1970
National Geographic issue is one of the television-based simulators.

Pete