Old May 21st 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

Default GPS Testing?

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:
Just got a Flight Advisory from the FAA indicating there will be "GPS
Testing" at the White Sands Missile Range this summer. Their schedule
shows dates and times of planned tests. Looks like they are planning
testing from 1-5 PM local every day but Friday of the upcoming Moriarty
Super Regional contest. Their swath of possible outages covers Moriarty
down to 50 ft AGL! It also covers Hobbs down to 50 ft AGL during the US
18-meter Nationals.

I don't remember the previous testing NOTAMS showing such widespread low
level effects. Anyone have any real life experience with this? This
advisory starts next Monday, so maybe the Albuquerque club can let us know.

This could shut down contests in the area as we have no backup for GPS.
Should I pack my old cameras for the contest down there? Or maybe rig up
some GPS anti-jamming equipment?

-Dave

Just got notice of this as well. As organizers of the Moriarty Contest
we would appreciate anyone's input on this potential issue.

Tim "EY" and Susan "EY Ground"