Old December 8th 04, 09:25 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Dude" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
None of the solutions you are talking about are TAWS or really even close
to TAWS. Garmin's 430/530 terrain feature that resembles the handheld
functionality you are talking about is $500.

Suddenly I feel like Gilda Radner.

"Oh, nevremind"

SO what DO you get other than yellow and red. That seems to be what they
are calling TAWS in the G1000.

TAWS incorporates ground closure rate and look-ahead. It gives audio
commands ("pull-up, pull-up"). Also since the product has been shown for
well over a year and was supposed to be available a year ago, we can assume
that it has been a PITA to certify. The competing TAWS products are
Honeywell's EGPWS and Sandal's TAWS both of which cost much more (more than
2X) than Garmin's solution and also require expensive installation. TAWS
is only required on turbine aircraft certified with six or more passenger
seats and I doubt that it will sell well in the piston market since the $500
"yellow and black" solution will be availible there. I sent my 530 out
yesterday for the TAWS installation and the beauty of it is that no complex
installation is required saving many thousands.

The "yellow and black only" terrain only requires a terrain database
installed in the second data card slot.

Mike
MU-2