Old December 11th 04, 06:52 PM
C Kingsbury

"Dude" wrote in message

I am thinking that this simply reflects more of Garmin getting too proud

of
their success and their market domination. While I like the G1000 better
than the present Avidyne and Chelton solutions, I am now hoping avidyne

"one
ups" them in the next round.

Garmin has been making plenty of mistakes lately, and they should start
trying harder again.

Much as I hate to say it, Garmin looks pretty far ahead of the alternatives
right now. You said it yourself- the G1000 is better than the Avidyne
solution, which invariably includes a pair of GNS-430s anyway. I can
understand Cirrus sticking by Avidyne, but I'm surprised that Piper and
Lancair would choose it, given the options. Is the price differential that
great for a complete system?

Frankly I'd say everyone else is making a lot more mistakes than Garmin.
Avidyne's system requires them to purchase $15k of boxes from their only
competitor and King will soon be in the buggy-whip business unless they buy
out Avidyne or come up with a competing system. They still barely have a
good answer to the GNS-430, and that's been out for how many years?

I'll tell you what, Garmin is set to own the avionics business in the
sub-12,500lb segment. Their real advantage will be the volume they get in
the very light jet segment, where the G1000 likely beats the bag out of
Collins, etc. in terms of price. Pretty amazing when you think about the
same basic flight deck going into a 172 as a Mustang. Some "mistake."

-cwk.