Old April 30th 04, 12:17 PM

John C wrote:

I know this gets talked about all the time...but I have aquestion I
was hoping someone smarter than me could help me with.

He goes on to use this determination of strength/weight (or,
structural efficiency) to determine that composites do not offer a
greater strength/weight ration in airframe construction applications.

You can compare the same airframe with Al alloy and carbon fiber:
Michel Colomban MC100: 202Kg empty (F-PECH)
Colomban Robin MCR01: 235kg empty (G-BYEZ)
http://www.avnet.co.uk/lts/pages/mcr1.htm

But then I read about the new 7E7, which is a largely composite
aircraft, thus lighter, thus more efficient.

Scale effect and industrial way to built, no experimental built.

How do I reconcile these conflicting pieces of information?

Basicaly, the composite carbon-epoxy is the best for strength. But, in
the case of MCR01, a carbon fiber skin for the wing, just enough for
loads is too thin face a little gravel. For durability, its need more
fiber, more epoxy, more weight. In fine, the skin is still in Al
alloy.

By
--
Gardan GY20 Minicab F-PRAZ