Old April 13th 05, 12:36 PM
Bill Zaleski

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:57:37 -0500, "O. Sami Saydjari"
wrote:

I am reviewing the requirements for a commercial pilots license. There
are two that are perplexing me. I ask it on the IFR forum simply
because it is the one I am most familiar with and folks here seem ver
FAR knowledgable (sorry if this is not the best place for it).

Part 61.129 (Aeronautical experience) Paragraph a (single engine):

Sub-para (4)(i) [relating to solo flight experience] "One cross-country
flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings
at a minimum of 3 points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at
least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point."

Does a cross-country need to be completed in the course of 1 day. For
example, if one flew this requirement by flying somewhere one day, and
then flying back 1 week later (with an additional stop thrown in there
somewhere)...does that work?

Sub-para (4)(ii) [relating to solo flight experience] "5 hours in night
VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings...at an airpott with an
operating control tower."

Are these really two separate requirements? One being 5 hours of night
VFR, and another for 10 TOs/Landings at a controlled airport? Or do the
TOs/landings have to be done in the course of night VFR?

Yes, you can put time in between the start and finish of the 300 mile
cross country. The flight does not have to be completed in one day,
or one week, as long as you meet the dimensions of the requirement.

The take off and landings (10) must be done at night and solo. You
must be the only occupant of the aircraft, (unless you choose to do
the flights in a multiengine aircraft)