Old October 26th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default What sunglasses are best for flying gliders?

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 11:45:15 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 11:27:58 AM UTC-7, Jonathan Foster wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a fairly cheap pair of sunglasses. When I put them on in my glider all of my instruments magically went black. Unbeknownst to me, the lenses are polarized.

Are there any sunglasses that seem to work really well for flying?

Mechanical instruments or LCD displays? If all your mechanical instruments went black then they have their glass installed incorrectly or you have the worlds worst pair of polarized glasses with the polarization 90 degrees from where it is supposed to be.

Some glider pilots, including me, prefer to fly with polarized sunglasses because of benefits in seeing cloud wisps and haze domes etc. How well they work usually comes down to LCD display and canopy distortion causing issues (Mecaplex canopies usually seem impressively distortion/stress free)).. Lots of space on r.a.s. has been wasted already talking about sunglasses, you can search for those past threads.

http://sunglasspolarized.net/

Avian 515 Non-Polarized Lens many different styles of frames

Richard
www.craggyaero.com