Old February 10th 18, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

You'd have to live in a very flat area to consider Enstone a
"hill top site": it's enormous and flat.

At 06:17 10 February 2018, wrote:
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 5:49:33 AM UTC, Mike

the Strike wrote:
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 12:41:53 PM UTC-7,

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Hill top sites are not uncommon in the UK. Winds can

create what I
cal=
l 'curl' over such sites. My first glider was lost when a

partner got
caug=
ht in the downside of such curl on his downwind and

despite abbreviating
th=
e circuit failed to make the airfield and crashed in the

valley. This was
=
in East Anglia. I once took a winch launch and upon

turning final chased
t=
he ASI to the ground and a very abrupt stop 50 yards short

of the runway
in=
standing barley. This was at Enstone, another hill top site.

There is
ne=
arly a 400ft difference in elevation between the river

bottom west of
Exete=
r and the Dartmoor site, which would result in pretty

squirrelly
conditions=
.. Having learned soaring in the UK, I'm a bit surprised

about some
aspects=
of the event.
=20
Matt's videos are wonderful and I'd just watched

Chasing Diamonds a
few=
days prior to hearing of his accident. As I'd flown from

Lleweni Parc a
f=
ew times, including out over the Irish Sea, I really enjoyed

this video.
=20
Frank Whiteley

=20
"The Clutching Hand"!
=20
Mike

Read the account closely regarding airspeeds, attitudes and

known control
i=
nputs in the seconds after the cable break. I am surprised

about what is
no=
t included in this report.